Red Oak is a great primary canopy layer tree that looks great throughout the year, but especially in the summer because it provides fantastic shade in the summer months.
Red Oak (Quercus rubra)
What gets a year older whenever it rings?
Did you know?
- Some Indian tribes used the bark as a disinfectant
- The bark of the tree is used to make railway ties
- Red Oak
- Northern Red Oak
- Birds and mammals use it for cover and nesting
- Deer and rabbits commonly feed on the leaves and young seedlings
- Mammals and birds eat the acorns
- 65-100' tall, with a crown width of 60-70'
- Full sun to partial shade
- Moist, well-drained soil
Select Identification Characteristics:
- Leaf Type: Simple
- Leaf Arrangement: Alternate
- Bud Arrangement: Alternate
- Terminal Bud: Cluster