Hop Hornbeam was chosen for fall interest because of the vibrant yellow color of the leaves
Hop Hornbeam (Ostrya virginiana)
What do you call a happy, trumpet playing toad?
- Hop Hornbeam!
Did you know?
- The wood is hard and is used to make fence posts and tool handles
- Native Americans used the inner wood to treat toothaches and sore muscles
- Hop Hornbeam
- American Hophornbeam
- Eastern Hornbeam
- Nutlets provide food for songbirds and small mammals
- 25-50' tall, with a crown width of 20-30'
- Full to partial shade
- Moist, well-drained soil
Select Identification Characteristics:
- Leaf Type: Simple
- Leaf Arrangement: Alternate
- Bud Arrangement: Alternate
- Terminal Bud: Single