Bur Oak is a really neat tree to see throughout the year and is a favorite of an abundance of wildlife, but was chosen for winter interest because it has unique bark and twig. Both are very scaly, ridged, and stout, making it an easy one to identify by the twig in the winter months.
Bur Oak (Quercus macrocarpa)
What do Oak trees say when they get cold?
Did you know?
- Bur Oak is the most fire-resistant of all the Oak trees because of its thick bark
- The wood is used for hard-wood flooring, cabinetry, and fence posts
- Bur Oak
- Mossycup Oak
- A variety of animals eat the acorns
- 80-100' tall, with a crown width of 60-80'--can live up to 400 years old!
- Full sun to partial shade
- Moist, well-drained soil
Select Identification Characteristics:
- Leaf Type: Simple
- Leaf Arrangement: Alternate
- Bud Arrangement: Alternate
- Terminal Bud: Cluster